K found this really interesting piece from KCRW’s “To the Point” about food waste. It’s definitely worth taking the time to listen to this. We found it quite helpful and informative. The “food waste” discussion starts around the 8:30 mark:
Just a couple of points I jotted down while listening:
1. We’re wasting almost 40% of the food supply.2. 1 in 6 doesn’t have enough to eat.
3. The “sell by”, “enjoy by” “eat by” dates are about freshness (ie “peak flavor”); NOT safety.
4. “We have to grow for cosmetic perfection to make a sale, and so a lot of food gets lost because of that.” (Nick Papadapalous from Bloomfield Farms)
5. Approx 20% of the grown food never leaves the farm.
6. “Food is the #1 component of a landfill.” (Doug Rauch- former president of Trader Joe’s)
And, if you have the time, they mentioned this link to help clarify these dates on products that are confusing to most of us:
C & K